[OPE-L:2232] RE: Re: Statistical regularities

From: P.J.Wells@open.ac.uk
Date: Wed Jan 19 2000 - 13:31:03 EST

Many thanks to Chris for drawing to my attention this notice of Quetelet by
Marx, of which I was quite unaware.

When Chris writes "Marx also", does this refer to Q.'s *conclusion*, or to
his premise as well?

Having hurried to consult the MECW (not being a statistical, or any other,
kind of fatalist, I was alarmed at the possibility that Marx was), I feel
fairly confident in rejecting this interpretation.

However, I *would* claim M.'s "Tribune" piece as evidence (in the words
emphasised below) that he would have approved an F&M-type approach:

"Now, if *crimes observed on a great scale thus show, in their amount and
their classification, the regularity of physical phenomena* -- if as Mr.
Quetelet remarks, 'it would be difficult to decide in respect to which of
the two' (the physical world and the social system) 'the acting causes
produce their effect with the utmost regularity' -- is there not a necessity
for deeply reflecting upon an alteration of the system that breeds these
crimes, instead of glorifying the hangman who executes a lot of criminals to
make room only for the supply of new ones?"

That this sentence is evidence only for Marx's agreement with the
conclusion, not the premises, of Quetelet, is shown by what M. has just
previously said in criticising Hegel for his view that "Punishment is the
*right* of the criminal. It is an act of his own will."

Marx's comment on this is:

"Is it not a delusion to substitute for the individual with his real
*motives*, with multifarious social circumstances pressing upon him, the
*abstraction* of 'free-will'..." [emph. added]

I interpret Marx as saying that free will exists, but not in the one-sided
form of Hegel's exposition. On the other hand, it seems clear (from
Hacking's account, at any rate) that Quetelet and other statistical
fatalists thought that the social dimension was deterministic in exactly the
same sense -- Laplacean hyper-determinism -- as they understood the physical
one to be, a point of view which M.'s reference to "real motives" seems
incompatible with.

In short, people make history, but not in circumstances of their own
choosing: neither Hegel nor Quetelet, but Marxist humanism.

Julian