[OPE-L:2282] Re: Re: Re: : value-form theories

From: Michael J Williams (michael@williamsmj.screaming.net)
Date: Sun Jan 23 2000 - 17:07:16 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: Allin Cottrell <cottrell@ricardo.ecn.wfu.edu>
To: OPE-L <OPE-L@galaxy.csuchico.edu>
Sent: Sunday, January 23, 2000 9:24 PM
Subject: [OPE-L:2281] Re: Re: : value-form theories

.

> I disagree. The concept of abstract labour, as something that
> exists outside of capitalist relations of production, carries an
> ontological commitment to the existence of a "bearer" of a
> capacity to labour at various tasks, i.e. of beings who have
> evolved the sort of general intelligence and dexterity that
> allows them to transfer their energies from one task to another
> with a high degree of flexibility: us.

Once again Allin has caught me over-reaching myself ... . What he describes
is an alternative ontological commitment to that of VFT. So that debate can
continue.

In mitigation, the context was a response to Fred's defence of abstract
labour as a cognitive ('abstract') abstraction as in some sense 'enough'.
Then any ontological resonance of abstract abstract labour does indeed await
some interpretation.
.

> BTW, Michael, MS Outlook Express is forcing the "Reply to" field
> of your postings to Michael Williams, not OPE-L, which makes it
> a bit awkward if one wants to reply to the list rather than to
> you personally.

Do you think it is Outlook Express? Since you receive my posts from
ope-l@..., not from me, will your mailer not reply to that address (who will
then narrow-cast it to the list)?
I have also had to 'correct' the To field on a number of occasions in order
to get the list rather than the member (I think it was happening with Paul C
for a while?)
I am relectant to give up Outlook Express for a number of reasons concerned
with managing my various mail-boxes via a free ISP and no connection
charges, so is there something I can tweek in the OE accounts set-up, or
something?

Michael
Dr Michael Williams
Economics and Social Sciences
De Montfort University
Milton Keynes
UK
fax: 0870 133 1147
http://www.mk.dmu.ac.uk/~mwilliam
[This message may be in html, and any attachments may be in MSWord 97. If
you have difficulty reading either, please let me know.]