[OPE-L:2389] Re: Re: the employment contract and capitalism

From: Francisco Paulo Cipolla (cipolla@sociais.ufpr.br)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2000 - 09:11:57 EST

Regarding the role of supervisors in producing or not producing surplus value,
a debate that is engaging Jerry and Ernesto, the chapter on Profit of
Enterprise is certainly of some help. There Marx suggests that there are two
sides to the labor of supervision: one related to the antagonistic character
of the social relation under capitalism or any system based on social classes;
the other related to the labor of coordination, which in Marx's view is as
productive as a maestro is indispensable in an orquestra, that is, it is labor
which securs the coordination of a divided labor process. This two activities
may well be undertaken by a single person, in which case it is not certain
that, as Jerry says, workers will know in which side those supervisors
are. It is then the coordinating part of the labor of supervision that which
generates surplus value. The other part of his or her (most probably his)
labor is there to make sure that whatever was bought is used, be it a slave or
the labor of somebody for x number of hours: to make others produce surplus
does not make the slave-driver or the supervisor (under capitalism) to be the
producer of surplus (!) as Ernesto would like us to believe.
Cipolla