[OPE-L:2429] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: the employment contract and capitalism

From: Steve Keen (s.keen@uws.edu.au)
Date: Sun Feb 27 2000 - 15:48:23 EST

Hi Riccardo,

I agree that it was not truly 'populist', but I would argue that it was
more populist than the Contribution in that Marx did not try to use a
purely dialectical mode of presentation.

Though you refer to "first chapter" and "second edition" Riccardo--did you
mean "first edition"? If so then I'd like to hear more, since I haven't
done any variorum research on Marx.

Cheers,
Steve
At 09:21 AM 2/27/00 +0100, you wrote:
> [...]
>>>addition to its natural properties, a particular social form. Marx,
>>>stressed the point:
>>>
>>>"A thing can be useful and be the product of human labour, without being a
>>>commodity. Whoever satisfies his own need through his product, does create
>>>use-value, but not a commodity. In order to produce a commodity, he must
>>>not only produce *use-value, but use-value for others, social use-value*…So
>>>use-value itself - as the use-value of the 'commodity' - possesses an
>>>historically specific character' (Marx, 1979-80, p.199; **Marx's italics).
>>>
>>>I think that the argument for an historical 'social' concept of use-value,
>>>is important in the context of Marx's dispute with Ricardo on the price of
>>>labour. According to Marx, Ricardo cannot explain the divergence between
>>>the quantity and value of the labour embodied in commodities: 'Ricardo has
>>>in fact no answer… He determines value here, in one of the basic
>>>propositions of the whole system, by demand and supply - as Say notes with
>>>malicious pleasure' (Marx, TSV 2, p.400).
>>>
>>>Ricardo's failure to explain how surplus value can arise - given the
>>>proposition of equal exchange - Marx puts down to a failure to distinguish
>>>between two different *forms* taken by useful labour in capitalism. On the
>>>one hand, useful labour is a quantity of expended human energy, embodied in
>>>commodities and consumed ex post following exchange: it is *materialised
>>>labour*. On the other hand, labour-power exists in commodity-form as
>>>*living labour*, consumed ex ante in production. Opposition between the
>>>bodily expression of useful labour and its commodification in the form of
>>>labour-power explains why the 'law' of equal exchange does not apply:
>>>'surplus value itself is derived from a specific use-value of labour-power
>>>which belongs to it exclusively' (Marx, 1879-80, p.200).
>>>
>>>The concept of 'social use-value' looks to be a crucial element of a theory
>>>of capitalism as a system of commodity production based on wage labour. As
>>>Marx, himself, commented in his Notes on Adolph Wagner: 'only an
>>>obscurantist' could fail to recognise that the commodity is an
>>>'historically specific' form of use-value, 'the simplest social form in
>>>which the labour product is presented in contemporary society' (Notes on W,
>>>1879-80, p.198). As a commodity, labour-power is itself a 'social
>>>use-value' - a very important one since it creates value.
>>>
>>>Unfortunately, the social character of the commodity-form of use-value is
>>>less clear in *Capital*. Having described use-value as a natural quality
>>>of 'usefulness' constituting the 'content of wealth, whatever its social
>>>form may be', Marx turns immediately to the 'form of society' in which
>>>these natural use-values (products) assume a social relation as
>>>commodities: as exchange values (C1, 1976, p.126). Perhaps this lack of
>>>clarity explains why the idea of labour-power as a special commodity (as a
>>>social use-value) isn't well understood.

II,

>>>again):

Therefore

Trade