[OPE-L:2439] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: the employment contract and capitalism

From: Prof. Ernesto Screpanti (screpanti@unisi.it)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2000 - 09:58:24 EST

Riccardo wrote in [2402]

>Ernesto, I would
>like to add: (i) that exploitation is enforced in the labour process, and
>is not 'already there' in the employment contract; and this is to me the
>core of the Marxian distinction between the use value and the exchange
>value of labour power as a special commodity;

I agree.

(ii) that capitalist
>exploitation is not possible without market as the aim of the production
>process;

I do not understand. Market is not an end. Profits or
accumulation/valorization could be ends.

(iii) that dynamic competition is essential to capitalism. Hence,
>it is doubtful if Soviet exploitation was capitalist exploitation. In my
>view, it was worse that that from certain points of view.

In my view the Soviet system was an inefficient form of capitalism,
precisely because it was incapable of stimulating innovation. But it was
capitalism anyway to the extent that 1) workers were exploited in the labour
process, 2) surplus value was used to sustain capitalist accumulation.

Ciao

Ernesto