[OPE-L:2509] Marx & Darwin

From: Alejandro Ramos (aramos@btl.net)
Date: Tue Mar 14 2000 - 23:02:50 EST

Dear Patrick and Steve:

According to Draper's Chronology (M&E Cyclopedia, I, p. 189), Marx sent a
copy of the 2nd edition of Capital I to Darwin on Sept 25, 1873. Darwin
replied on Oct 1st. He also sent a copy to Spencer.

Unfortunately, I don't have a good collection of Marx's letters but I'm
sure you can trace Marx's letter easily. I have a Spanish version of
Darwin's letter which is, as traditionally believed, a polite one.

It seems also that Marx wanted to dedicate the 2nd Volume of Capital to
Darwin but he declined the honour for religious concerns.

By the way, Marx died on March 14, 117 years ago.

Alejandro