[OPE-L:2528] Re: class demarcation

From: Gerald Levy (glevy@PRATT.EDU)
Date: Wed Mar 15 2000 - 19:50:20 EST

John H asked in [OPE-L:2527]:

> Why do you want a criterion for the demarcation of class? Why
> should we want to define class? Is it not capital that defines class? Is
> our struggle not to liberate ourselves from definition?

My brief answer: part of the process of liberating ourselves from class
society is understanding the meaning of class.

In some ways, I find your questions puzzling since "class analysis" on the
composition and de-composition of the working-class must necessarily
define class(es). Yet, hasn't class analysis been a central focus of
"Open Marxism" and "autonomist Marxism"? (btw, as evidenced by the
statement of purpose of the aut-op-sy list which we are both members of).

Congratulations on your first post! May it be the first of many thought-
and praxis-provoking contributions.

In solidarity, Jerry