[OPE-L:2557] Re: Marxian critique of the theory of comparative advantages

From: Gerald Levy (glevy@PRATT.EDU)
Date: Sun Mar 19 2000 - 09:42:53 EST

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 09:13:54 -0500
From: Simone-Suzanne Debrunhoff <SDebrunhoff@compuserve.com>

Re-Anders'(OPE-L 2542) and Mike W's (2543)

-Comparative advantages: In the seventees, there was a lot of different
marxian books about International Corporations and Imperialism. Among the
few which discussed comparative advantages, you find :A.Emmanuel, 1972,"
Unequal Exchange" (New Left Books) .
More recently, Alice H.Amsden, 1990, "Imperialism", in The New Palgrave,
ed.by J.Eatwell and alii, "Marxian Econmics" (Macmillan) ,with a criticism
of both neo-classical and marxist analyses.

- Euro: I only published a chapter : "L'euro, un compromis pour l'Europe
des marchés", in a hetrodox economists'book: "La Monnaie Unique en débat" ,
Syros Paris, 1997. No english translation.

I think that marxist economists, including me , did not develop
international economic problems . This includes monetay questions (Claus
Germer is starting with these questions) , international law of value and
so on . For instance, we have not much to say about rates of exchanges (and
cannot find a lot in Marx 's Capital...). So when we are involved in
political discussions and reforms , we often lack in theory.

Best wishes
Suzanne de Brunhoff
<sdebrunhoff@compuserve.com>