[OPE-L:2582] Re: Re: Critique

From: Allin Cottrell (cottrell@ricardo.ecn.wfu.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 21 2000 - 20:03:26 EST

John, good to "see" you again (John was my PhD supervisor, it
seems like an age ago). Sorry I don't have much to contribute
to the present discussion. I will readily admit, by way of
auto-critique of work I was doing some years back, that the
detailed discussion of which occupational categories belong to
which classes seems, in a longer perspective, somewhat sterile.

I accept that much of Marx's work is a critique, attempting to
lay bare the basis of bourgeois representations of "the
economy": to explain both _what_ is being represented, and the
mechanism/logic of the representation. But I don't see this
point as ruling out of order a "Marxist economics", or
"economics in the service of Marxism". The construction of a
different and better social order needs an economics -- a
systematic set of ideas regarding the allocation of resources
(foremost among them, labour time) in the interests of the
people.

Allin Cottrell.