[OPE-L:2584] Re: Critique [but no definitions]

From: Paul Zarembka (zarembka@ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU)
Date: Tue Mar 21 2000 - 22:56:24 EST

John, you still are leaving the issue of Marx's theoretical struggle for
"definitions" suspended in the air.

Anyway... Here is my direct, but not rancorous, response (I've come to the
stage in life where I prefer to cut to quick, right or wrong, and say so
when I find myself in error):

If I read you correctly you are well on your way to what Ellen Meiksins
Wood called "Retreat from Class" (she was indeed fired from editorship of
*Monthly Review*!).

Through your reification of fetishism/anti-fetishism, capitalists
disappear as active Sob's and workers are no longer victims of domination
and exploitation. Issues of working 12 fucking hours and getting 1 back
-- issues of surplus value -- vanish. Bill Gates laughs as you have
forgotten about that charming little hut he has had built for himself and
for his beautiful wife by thousands upon thousands of worker hours. And
Micron's CEO laughs at forgetting those women in El Salvador struggling to
make enough microchips to keep their jobs; women who only have to get
their anti-fetish act together to reach... what? serfdom, slavery,
communism -- who knows, since anti-fetishism has replaced concern over who
controls what means of production how?

But then maybe I don't understand you at all. Maybe Jerry understands you
better:
    "There is no contradiction between saying that workers *are* victims
of capital and at the same time saying that they are *more than* victims."

In any case, I never expected to have to support an idea of the type 'if
workers are victims, ergo, we must have a Leninist revolutionary party',
with which you and Jerry might be in agreement were one to notice workers
as victims. And I don't even know where to begin critiquing such a
statement as "the possibility of the self-emancipation of the working
class, can only be approached through a critique of fetishism". What is
that "ONLY" doing there, as if anyone of us knows how we are to get our
revolutionary act together, that there is ONLY one true path?

Paul (who, at his own peril, does not apologize for being direct).

Paul Zarembka, supporting RESEARCH IN POLITICAL ECONOMY
******************** http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PZarembka