[OPE-L:2633] Re: Re: Critique

From: Francisco Paulo Cipolla (cipolla@sociais.ufpr.br)
Date: Wed Mar 29 2000 - 10:54:25 EST

I do not understand why we have to break in two halves an analysis which
evolved as a unity. Material as well as intelectual misery are derived by
Marx. And sometimes workers put on a coat of intelectual misery on top of
their exploited skins. Obviously, workers must feel exploitation as the owner
of the means of production get richer while they struggle to keep the same
standard of living. Every worker may develop his/her impressionistic view as
to what exploitation maybe. Nevertheless it took a scientist to make it clear.
The scientist provided more: since entering into the factory presuposes buying
and selling, it seems as if the relationship between worker and capitalist is
just an equal exchange of values. We have exploitation but at the same time a
relationship (the market) which masks that exloitation. Both are part of the
analysis in my way of viewing what Marx is proposing. It is rather exciting
the way Marx never lost track of those two sides of the analysis throughout
his work. Just to try not to be dribbled by words, what I mean by those two
sides are for instance: the definition of what the rate of exploitation is but
at the same time showing that its form of appearance through the rate of
profit difuses the origin of surplus value to all elements of capital
therefore giving it the appearance of profit. Why, Paul, should this be
regarded as secondary, I sincerely would like to know?
Paulo Cipolla