[OPE-L:3406] Re: Re: objectivity of value

From: Andrew Brown (Andrew@lubs.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Jun 01 2000 - 11:35:11 EDT

Hi Fred,

You write:

> I don't see how one can derive reliable, conceptually
> rigorous estimates of quantities of abstract labor.

(1) Is there really absolutely no hope of getting some sort of idea of
the appropriate reduction coefficients? I would have thought that, if
one wanted to do it, some progress could be made - apologies for
my ignorance of the work of those on this list who have indeed had
a go at this sort of thing.

(2) You go on to point out that a number of price magnitudes that
are 'determined by abstract labour time' can be estimated. Doesn't
this mean that you *are* able to estimate quantities of abstract
labour, if indirectly? (i.e. that you cannot *observe* abstract labour
but you can derive estimates of abstract labour time magnitudes
precisely because price magnitudes are determined by value
magnitudes). [Not that you *need* to think in terms of abstract
labour time as opposed to price].

Andy