[OPE-L:3423] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: objectivity of value

From: Patrick L. Mason (pmason@garnet.acns.fsu.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 02 2000 - 12:04:44 EDT

Ajit's posting on differential wages and reduction coefficients raises a
problem. Wage differentials may occur because of skill differentials,
differences in the bargaining power of workers, and differences in the
ability of firms to pay.

The reduction coefficients problem is usually framed in terms of

L_u = a*L_s,

where L_s is labor time of skilled workers, L_u is the labor time of
unskilled workers, and
a is the reduction coefficient. So, unskilled labor time represents only a
fraction of skilled labor time.

Wage_s = f(L_s, bargaining power, ability to pay)

Wage_u = f(a*L_s, bargaining power, ability to pay)

When Marx (and Ricardo) says that the reduction of skilled labor to
unskilled (or general, average) labor time goes on behind the backs of
workers, is he referring the forces that determine "a?" Or, to the forces
that determine "a" along with the effects of bargaining power and ability
to pay?

In volume I, I think he is probably refering only to "a," but by the time
we get to the transformation problem and begin to develop a more concrete
analysis, I think it is true to say that the latter statement is correct.

Notably, the Marxian argument takes it as a general proposition that
otherwise identical individuals will receive differences in pay. In order
words, Marx's wage theory is a frontal assault on the law of one price.

peace, patrick