[OPE-L:3426] Re: Re: Re: Gil's criticisms

From: Patrick L. Mason (pmason@garnet.acns.fsu.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 02 2000 - 13:54:35 EDT

There is nothing in Marx's theory that would preclude one class of
defrauding another, or one class (or other social group) using violence to
obtain surplus value from another class (or social group). Indeed, in
chapter one Marx doesn't argue that commodities must exchange at labor
values. Rather, the power of Marx's analysis is that even if there is no
fraud, or physical violence, or commodities exchanging at a different ratio
than their value, the labor/labor-power distinction allows for the creation
of surplus value and the exploitation of workers.

All of the other stuff can be brought in at later, more concrete stages of
development of the analysis.

peace, patrick