[OPE-L:3488] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: measurement of value

From: Ajit Sinha (ajitsinha@lbsnaa.ernet.in)
Date: Mon Jun 12 2000 - 08:35:57 EDT

Paul Cockshott wrote:

> At 11:25 11/06/00 -0400, you wrote:
> >
> >So this delimitation of the category of commodity, which I agree that Marx
> >accepts upon initial analysis, does not answer the specific question. I am
> >saying that if we don't pinpoint successful market exchange as the point
> >that goods acquire value, then not only would we have to consider
> >inventories as already having acquired value but also (and why not?)
> >production that is not even intended to be sold on the market (say the govt
> >using tax money to hire workers in a transportation dept to build
> >roads--have these roads too acquired value?)
>
> Yes, but they only aquire exchange value if the government sells them off.

Right now I don't have time to respond to Rakesh, which seems to me as never
ending debate. In anycase, just a small comment here paul. Strictly speaking the
road should not acquire value because it is not *reproducible*. Rakesh is simply
wrong when he says that goods acquire value at the point of exchange in the
market. Many things exchange in the market, most notable of them would be land,
that have no value because they are not reproducible. Cheers, ajit sinha