[OPE-L:3551] Re: Re: Re: Re: money-capital as initial givens

From: Allin Cottrell (cottrell@wfu.edu)
Date: Sat Jul 01 2000 - 16:22:18 EDT

On Sat, 1 Jul 2000, Rakesh Bhandari wrote, in reference to Paul
C's previous contribution:

> And why not even recognize what break Marx accomplished in
> chs 9 and 10 from the limited point of view of the
> individual capitalist. After all, it is the interconnections
> that his theory of the formation of the general profit rate
> does disclose which allows to dissolve the paradox which
> appears to the individual capitalist...

That Marx made a significant break from the "limited point of
view of the individual capitalist" can surely be taken as read
on this list; I'm sure Paul was taking it as read. But Paul was
arguing that Marx did not take this break as far as it should be
taken (which is of course not surprising for a theoretical
pioneer). Specifically, the notion of "starting with" a given
sum of money capital is an ideological reprise of the
capitalist's perspective (on the way back from the bank, or the
capital market, or having just liquidated an inheritance),
rather than a valid starting point for scientific analysis. I
think he has a good point.

Allin Cottrell.