[OPE-L:3728] Re: Re: COST PRICE

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@Princeton.EDU)
Date: Sat Aug 26 2000 - 13:16:26 EDT

Ajit,

 If we *define* total commodity value as the labor time represented by the
means of production used up in production+ direct labor time needed to
produce the entire commodity output, then as a matter of definition
commodity *value* cannot change as result of changes in the *prices* of the
inputs. In Marx's system even after we modify the cost prices--a price
adjustment--we still have the same quantity of means of production consumed
and the same number of worker hours. Therefore modification of cost price
can bring no change to the total value of the product. Labor time is not
changed thereby. Now I shall sidestep the difficulty of the those tricky
"socially necessary labor time" units in which labor time is measured. But
those are the units as they were for Ricardo.

So that total value does not change as a result of the modification of cost
price is not a normalisation condition; nor is it an arbitrary postulate.
It follows from the way in which value is defined.

However, you seem not to understand this is all part of hypothesis
formation, not confirmation of the hypothesis.

 Marx's hypothesis that the law of value not only governs capitalist
production but governs it in the specific form in which he is laying out
should yield predictions about the specific developmental tendencies of
such a system of production, specifically that it is rational for
innovative enterpreneurs to introduce technical changes which raise their
own profits (as mass and rate) while depressing the average rate of profit
in the system as a whole.

Of course here I shall abstract, just as Marx initially does, from the
effects of these innovations on the cheapening of the inputs for next
period's profit rate, but do remember that the firms in those branches for
which these innovations will be inputs are under the same microeconomic
pressure to replace as much direct labor as possible with as little more
indirect labor--that is unit values are continuously declining though
indirect labor rises relative to direct labor per unit, which means that
unpaid labor per unit should be declining as well.

At the same time, the greater mass of produced use values neutralizes this
negative effect on profitability; that is, reduced unit values are spread
over ever greater masses of use values. Unit value and and the quantity of
use values move in inverse direction. This has been Marx's point ever since
the opening of Capital 1; if you don't understand this and you furthermore
deny that this is what is Marx is saying, you are just missing the point.

At any rate, you have no fear in your embarrassing yourself in telling me
that Marx was not talking such "unadulterated nonsense". So now as I had to
inform you of what cost price means in Marx's system, which is the starting
concept of vol 3, now I have to open your eyes to what Marx is basically
trying to achieve in vol 3.

READ SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY THE ENTIRE OF PAGE CAPITAL 3, P. 270 (VINTAGE),
and then tell me that I am talking unadulterated nonsense. If you think
about this page, it will be clear to you that Marx's law of the tendential
fall in the profit rate is fully anticipated here. How this could be in a
chapter supposedly on what has been called the transformation problem
seems to have escaped almost all commentators, save Grossmann and his
students (William J Blake and Paul Mattick Sr).

But the reasoning is as clear as day. The transformation shows that profit
is not appropriated on the basis of surplus value produced within an
enterprise or a branch; it is therefore possible to appropriate profit at a
higher rate even as an enterprise produces less surplus value relative to
the capital advanced due to the cost advantage of having replaced a lot of
direct labor for just a little more indirect labor, though in the system as
a whole such technical change will exert downward pressure on the average
rate of profit.

It is the macroeconomic performance of the system as a whole over time
which yields to value analysis, not relative prices in any given snapshot
of reality. Sweezy himself agreed to this in his debate with Cogoy.

So Marx's value theory is not to be tested on the basis of its ability to
explain relative prices but in terms of its ability to account for the laws
of motion. There can be no denying that this is the most important task
which Marx set for himself in Capital.

It just seems to me that you have missed the most important role that value
plays in Marx's system. Value can't be see anymore than entropy, field
intensity, valence, dissociation energy, genetic information are evident in
everyday experience (to draw from Mario Bunge). While they make look
suspicious to science faker positivists, realists know that most of reality
is hidden to the senses. Value is similarly a hypothesized variable in an
explanatory theory but this does not make it a *ghostly* variable such as
Walras' auctioneer, perfect knowledge, rational expectations, or
equilibrium prices.

All the best, Rakesh