[OPE-L:3798] Great, new, simple introduction to Marx

From: Paul Zarembka (zarembka@ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU)
Date: Fri Sep 08 2000 - 12:39:05 EDT

For years I have been looking for a basic introduction to Marx which would
work in the classroom. I think I have found it in "From Capitalism to
Equality" by Charles Andrews, just published with the last week or so. The
web page for the book is www.LaborRepublic.org while the table of contents
is at www.LaborRepublic.org/LRtoc.htm . At least for the month of
September the price cannot be beaten at $20.95 for hardback (plus $3.90
for shipping)!

The writing style is simple and clearly Marxist, the major issues covered,
and the substance connected to the lives of ordinary people reading the
book in 2000. Furthermore, it introduces the idea of a Labor Republic as
a contrast to our capitalism, but leaves a lot open for discussion of what
such a republic would actually look like.

Probably all of us would have certain questions about emphases in the book
(e.g., I like its deemphasis on using any falling tendency of a rate of
profit to predict, but would rather prefer some discussion of unproductive
labor and have hesitations about "accumulation"). Such is expected.

By the way, the author had only intro. courses to economics as part of his
own education! He is an activist in San Francisco (heretofore unknown to
me).

Paul Z.

P.S. Anyone may post this endorsement onto any list they wish. I think
the book needs to get as much exposure as possible.

Paul Zarembka, editor, RESEARCH IN POLITICAL ECONOMY at
********************** http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PZarembka