[OPE-L:3825] Re: Rational expectations Marxism

From: Michael Perelman (michael@ECST.CSUCHICO.EDU)
Date: Sat Sep 16 2000 - 22:36:32 EDT

Rakesh is right on target here. The Babbage problem is central to the problem
associated with Rational Expectations Marxism. In an economy with rapid tech.
change, no one can predict what an appropriate value-depreciation should be.

I first discussed this problem in my Marx book and then I tried to show how
this rapid depreciation of fixed capital led to to crisis in the U.S. economy
in the late 19th C. in my End of Economics. In other words, you can get a
falling rate of profit from an acceleration in the rate at which capital has to
be scrapped. Andrew Kliman and I came upon this idea separately -- his article
appeared shortly after my book, but he could not have been aware of what I was
doing -- although we seem to have taken our intepretation along different
paths.

--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department