[OPE-L:3832] Re: Re: Re: m in Marx's theory

From: Steve Keen (s.keen@uws.edu.au)
Date: Mon Sep 18 2000 - 01:25:57 EDT

Fred asks "Compared to what?" about the achievements of "an interpretation
of Marx's theory" vis a vis other theories.

Well, compared to, for example, the circuitist school in France, which has
its own "theory of the monetary circuit"; or compared to monetary Post
Keynesianism, which shares with the circuitist school the treatment of
money as fundamentally credit/debt--with one necessarily implying the
other; or compared to modern work in complexity theory, with a welter of
different models of financially-driven endogenous cycles.

In other words, there is a bit of a "straw man" debate going on here, with
the proposition that there are only two polar opposites--whatever
interpretation of Marx is being championed on the one hand, and Sraffian
analysis on the other.

There are many, many researchers in non-neoclassical economics who are
neither Marxian nor Sraffian in their foundations.
>Ajit did not respond to my argument in (3815) about COMPARED TO WHAT?
Some of the participants on this list might do well to acquaint themselves
with some of this non-Marxian, non-Sraffian, non-neoclassical,
non-equilibrium work. Neither Sraffa nor Marx are the only games in town (a
proposition which I doubt is news to Ajit!).

Two useful references on these (there are many more, of course; these are
just two new ones):

Rochon, L.P., 1999. Credit, Money and Production, Edward Elgar, Aldershot
(for a coverage of the circuitist/PK theories, which presumes a substantial
familiarity with Keynes)
Barnett, W., Chairella, C., Keen, S., Marks, R. & Schnabl, H> (eds.) 2000.
Commerce, Complexity and Evolution, Cambridge University Press, New York
(for a recent volume on complexity theory with several examples of
non-neoclassical monetary dynamic modelling).

Cheers,
Steve Keen

Dr. Steve Keen
Senior Lecturer