[OPE-L:3841] Re: Rational expectations Marxism

From: Michael Perelman (michael@ECST.CSUCHICO.EDU)
Date: Mon Sep 18 2000 - 17:08:28 EDT

I believe that the transformation problem is important for Marxist
crisis theory, but not in an algebraic sense. I read Marx as saying
that prices must stay in line with values, but without any exact
transformation, in order for the economy to coordinate itself that all.

Over the course of business cycle, prices lose their connection with the
underlying value system, allowing the economy to get out of whack. In
the process, large amounts of fictitious value accumulate, only to be
destroyed in the next downturn. The fact that prices lose their
connection to values makes a crash more likely and more extreme.

--

Michael Perelman Economics Department California State University michael@ecst.csuchico.edu Chico, CA 95929 530-898-5321 fax 530-898-5901