[OPE-L:3848] Re: Aristotle and Marx

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@Princeton.EDU)
Date: Tue Sep 19 2000 - 02:27:26 EDT

re 3827
>Did you read the excellent book "Essentialism in the Thought of Karl Marx",
>by Scott Meikle, 1985?
>
>Meikle writes, for example: "The main argument of the book... shows the
>fundamental place that essentialism and organicist categories (basically
>Aristotelian) have in Marx's thought." (p. 5)
>
>Alejandro Ramos

Yes, I read it five or so years back. I remember being somewhat skeptical
about how Meikle relates the logical to the historical development of the
value form. But I learned a lot from it, so when I saw his Aristotle's
Economic Theory in the bookstore, I bought it and read it soon thereafter.
I again learned quite a bit. His contribution to the Cambridge Companion is
also profound, if I remember correctly.

All the best, Rakesh