[OPE-L:3886] Re: Re: Marxists AND Sraffians Misinterpreting Sraffa

From: Steve Keen (s.keen@uws.edu.au)
Date: Wed Sep 27 2000 - 02:24:24 EDT

I'm willing to retract the first part of what I said, since Andrew says he
concurs with my reading of Sraffa on this point.

But what I can't interpret--and I doubt that Andrew can explain to me in
emails alone--is how this perspective on Sraffa is consistent with the
second half of his post, in which he says, inter alia, that

"These problems arise from simultaneous valuation. Get rid of the dogma
that input prices equal output prices, and you get rid of the problems. In
light of the capital controversy, the neoclassicists realized this, got rid
of the dogma, and nullified the reswitching critique."

I find this difficult to interpret on a number of grounds. It appears to
argue that neoclassical economics is now a disequilibrium theory. Unless
you want to see game theory in this perspective, I find that proposition
difficult to swallow. Instead, the Arrow/Debreu GE approach is completely
devoid of time processes, working in the realm of the formal existence of
equilibrium, rather than any alleged time processes which might get it
there. But that is a side issue.

More importantly for our debate, this appears to accuse Sraffa of what
Andrew says he doesn't accuse him of: being "simultaneist". How else can I
read "These problems arise from simultaneous valuation. Get rid of the
dogma that input prices equal output prices, and you get rid of the
problems". Are you not accusing Sraffa of a "dogma"?

Why is this "long period" methodology "ridiculous" if you say you read
Sraffa as I do, to be considering "an economy which had been in equilibrium
for the indefinite past", and then showing that the (neoclassical) presumed
equilibrium of this dynamic system cannot, in fact, be an equilibrium?

If you read it as the charge that everything happens simultaneously, or
that dynamic processes can be ignored, then I agree it's ridiculous. But
firstly you say that you're not reading it that way (in the first half of
your reply), then you appear to do just that in your second half.

This, to my eyes, is a "reindeer game"--or perhaps a kangaroo court.

Steve

Dr. Steve Keen
Senior Lecturer
Economics & Finance