[OPE-L:3902] Re: Re: Re: m in Marx's theory

From: Gil Skillman (gskillman@MAIL.WESLEYAN.EDU)
Date: Fri Sep 29 2000 - 09:57:31 EDT

Fred writes:

>Ajit has argued, and Gil seems to agree, that "m must be known" in order
>for my interpretation of Marx's theory to be a theory at all. In other
>words, if m is not known, then my interpretation is not a theory of
>ANYTHING.

At least as far as my response goes, Fred, you're changing the subject. I
didn't say anything one way or the other whether your interpretation can be
"a theory at all." I answered your request for listmember input on your
specific statement

"But if m is not determined, then the magnitude of S is determined up to a
factor of proportionality."

This is demonstrably not true, using your own mathematical expression,
since for different (positive but unknown) values of m, S can be positive,
zero, or negative. Thus it cannot be said that S is "determined up to a
(positive but unkown) factor of proportionality, as you would have it.
Nothing you say below changes this assessment. If I have time I'll address
other aspects of your treatment of m later--it's an interesting question.