[OPE-L:3905] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Marxists AND Sraffians Misinterpreting Sraffa

From: Steve Keen (s.keen@uws.edu.au)
Date: Fri Sep 29 2000 - 23:19:49 EDT

OK.

A couple of comments. Firstly on my take on the neoclassical response to
Sraffa: since their underlying analysis is static equilibrium in nature, I
don't believe it's open to them to sidestep Sraffa's critique by
postulating that input and output prices differ. If both input and output
prices are equilibrium, and yet both are different, then somehow what the
equilibrium is has changed in the "slice of time" between input and output.
Sorry, not an argument that I can buy--any more than, for example, the
Sonnenshein-Mantel-Debreu constraints which permit aggregation of consumer
preferences (one of the bizarre additional assumptions needed to make GE
coherent, which Andrew alluded to earlier). So I don't believe they have
meaningfully "nullified" the Sraffian critique. Instead, what they have
done is Lakatos describes as adjusting the "protective belt" of their
paradigm to protect the "hard core" from criticism, but in a manner which
actually contradicts part of that "hard core". Again in Lakatos' terms, I
see it as a degenerate scientific research program.

Also a general observation on dynamic methodology. I am, I hope, clearly an
advocate of dynamic over static reasoning--that was the basis of my
critique of Ian Steedman's attack on Kaleckian pricing theory. I am equally
critical of much which has been written in a Marxian vein which has also
been static in nature.

However, one side effect of this is that I am also a stickler for doing
dynamics properly. I have grave doubts that TSS would pass this test; I
will confirm or rebut that opinion after reading Andrew's 1999 ROPE paper
and the 1996 Freeman/Carchedi book, however--I don't see any point in
debating this issue just yet.

One final "however" is that, ironically, whether TSS does or does not pass
a test of consistent dynamic methodology is a side issue to my real
critique. This is that TSS, and all previous variants of Marxian economics,
take the labor theory of value as either a premise, or a logical deduction
from a negative methodology which ruled out any other potential sources of
surplus value. I dispute this, arguing instead that the proposition that
labour is the sole source of surplus value is contradicted by Marx's own
positive logical method.

Cheers,
Steve

Dr. Steve Keen