[OPE-L:4403] Edgeworth as precursor of Farjoun and Machover

From: P.J.Wells@open.ac.uk
Date: Wed Nov 01 2000 - 13:44:32 EST

This is particularly for Alejandro, Allin and Paul C:

Re-browsing through the work by Porter referred to in another post, I note
that Frances Ysidro Edgeworth appears to have been a pioneer in the use of
the gas statistics metaphor for the operation of a competitive market
economy (Porter, T. M. (1986). The rise of statistical thinking 1820-1900,
Princeton: Princeton University Press, page 258).

I'll follow-up the reference given there and report, but it looks to me as
if FYE got the metaphor wrong: he seems to have associated the gas pressure
with the (alleged) uniformity of price generated by competition.

Julian