[OPE-L:4405] Bortkiewicz as statistician

From: Alejandro Ramos (aramos@btl.net)
Date: Wed Nov 01 2000 - 15:07:18 EST

>...Porter goes on to discuss Bortkiewicz's more
>interesting work on such things as the incidence of death from mule kicks
>among Prussian soldiers.

At least, as statistician Bortkiewicz was concerned with *real*,
*observable* though rare phenomena. As "Marxist", he clearly preferred the
static/ecstatic contemplation of theoretical entities such the "system of
values" and the "system of prices".

Julian, thanks for the reference. I think Keynes also mentions this. Maybe
you can check his Treatise on Probability which I browsed in the National
Library in Rome many years ago. I vaguely recall that Bortkiewicz called
the distribution of such events as the "law of small numbers".

A.R.