[OPE-L:4416] Re: what is Volume 1 about?

From: Rakesh Narpat Bhandari (rakeshb@Stanford.EDU)
Date: Fri Nov 03 2000 - 01:30:07 EST

>Medio's presentation is perhaps the clearest expression of this
>interpretation that "Volume 1 is about labor-values only".  He explicitly
>calls his system of equations (2) the "value system".  The variables
>determined in his "value system" are the labor-values of individual
>commodities and the rate of surplus-value (as a ratio of
>labor-values).  Money and prices do not appear in the "value
>system" equations at all.  (Medio's article appears in Hunt and Schwartz
>(eds.), A Critique of Economic Theory.)

Fred,
Yes, the "inputs" in the transformation tableaux are in money terms;
they have money prices--that's why they are called the costPRICE--but
the money prices which they have is determined on the assumption that
means of production and wage goods sold at their value.

They have the form of what Gouverneur calls direct prices. Marx does
say unequivocally upon completion of his transformation tableau that
the inputs could not have sold at prices which were determined on his
own assumption that goods sold at value; rather they had to have been
sold at prices of production. Now that he has derived the category he
can say this.

Marx unequivocally says that the cost prices therefore have to be
modified in ch 9. I do not see why you deny this. Marx does not say
that the inputs should be transformed into the same unit prices of
production as the outputs via the use of simultaneous equations or an
iterative method. But this is a different issue. It simply does not
follow that since the inputs are in the price form (you are right)
that they are in the form of prices of production (this does not
follow).

We do need to recognize the need to transform the inputs. We don't
have to transform them into identical prices of production as the
outputs. We can say that that no one period model will give us the
data to determine the prices of production of the inputs.

But we should not deny that Marx himself did say that unless the cost
prices are modified by allowing for the inputs to have sold at prices
of production, rather than prices determined on the assumption of
sale at value, we can go wrong.

We should also show that it is possible for the inputs to be
transformed into the same form of prices of production as the outputs
while the two equalities hold. That is, in a scheme in which both
inputs and outputs do sell at prices of production,it should remain
true that total value=total price and mass of surplus value=sum of
profits.

All the best, Rakesh