[OPE-L:4428] Re: Re: Re: growth rates

From: Paul Zarembka (zarembka@ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU)
Date: Fri Nov 03 2000 - 17:02:04 EST

Rakesh Narpat Bhandari <rakeshb@Stanford.EDU> said, on 11/01/00:

>What did you think of Mattick Sr's essay on Lenin and Luxemburg?

That article is a 1935 one and I found it rather more objectionable than
his1970s work which seems to be more balanced.  However, I don't think
Mattick is really that much interested in Luxemburg's work and, as I
write, he sustains a "dismissal of Luxemburg, not much in his own words
but using the words of others (minus the polemics)".

My most serious objection is the following:

" 'without a doubt the reproduction schemes show that even under the
conditions they assume, the circuit of capital is conceivable on an
expanded scale' (Mattick, 1974, p. 100). Mattick has hit upon the issue of
contention.  But he fails to explain his assertion!  Luxemburg is denying
most forcefully the accuracy of such a statement and Mattick is doing no
more than asserting her supposed error in understanding Marx -- but not
analyzing her argumentation (for which she devoted much of her book of 450
pages)."

In any case, I use five pages to discuss Mattick on Luxemburg.

Paul Z.