[OPE-L:4431] Re: Re: Part Two of Volume III of Capital

From: Duncan K. Foley (foleyd@cepa.newschool.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 03 2000 - 17:18:17 EST

I was just reporting on my thoughts after re-reading Part Two of
Volume III. Marx doesn't seem to use the language of "determination"
in the same way that we tend to. We think in terms of closed
mathematical models with endogenous and exogenous variables, but I
don't think Marx did. This might be why we get in such a tangle over
trying to find "the" model that expresses Marx's idea.

All I was saying is that when I read it this time it seemed that he
had in mind both the physical embodiment of capital in means of
production, and the money expression of it.

If our task is to come up with a viable version of Marx that can
survive, for example, Steedman's critiques, then that is a different
question, and I think the money-based models are a good line to
pursue.

Duncan

--
Duncan K. Foley