[OPE-L:4520] Re: Marxist economists

From: Alejandro Ramos (aramos@btl.net)
Date: Mon Nov 13 2000 - 11:56:12 EST

Dear Jerry:

This will my last post for some days although I'll be able to check my
mail. So, a brief reply to your 4517:

My point is not wheather or not one is *willing* to use the term "marxist
economist" in the professional life. In the countries where I can work,
*I'm not allowed to use that term*. That's all. Or, as in theory these are
"free countries", I may use it in as a Quixotic act only to find that
nobody will take me seriously. In part, this is due to the fact that those
who have been calling themselves "marxist economists" have always
maintained that "Marx's Economics" is only a self contradictory, cumbersone
and metaphysical theory and have been very busy "demonstrating" this for
many years.

Perhaps a real recent example can illustrate the point: Some months ago
some friends holding academic positions in a South American country applied
for a small grant to a State funded academic organization. Their purpose
was to get, and review recent literature on Marx's economic theory and,
subsequently, publish a critical summary. The application was rejected on
the basis that it had been demonstrated many years ago, by the Marxist
economists themselves, that Marxist economics has no logical foundation and
therefore it was absurd to spend money and time in that research.

Alejandro R.