[OPE-L:4538] What is Volume 1 about?

From: Rakesh Narpat Bhandari (rakeshb@Stanford.EDU)
Date: Sat Nov 18 2000 - 12:25:16 EST

re 4537

>Rakesh, what is your textual evidence for this intepretation of constant
>capital and variable capital as having two different meanings, one for the
>determination of value and the other for the monetary resolution of
>value?  I don't know of any passage in which Marx said anything like this.

Fred,
Commodity value is determined in countless passages as indirect plus
direct labor, as the value of the consumed means of production
themselves as they reappear in the final product plus newly produced
value. See Capital 1 (Vintage), p. 294 (last paragraph), p. 318;
Capital 3, p.133

I do not know of any passage in which Marx determines commodity value
as the value of the sums of money advanced as constant and variable
capital plus surplus value.

Commodity value is then resolved or broken down in cost price [k or
(c + v)] and surplus value (s), which vary inversely (see Capital 3,
p. 258 [bottom], p.992 and 995, p.117, TSV II, pp. 417-18).

These are just the passages which I have already cited, but there are
doubtless more which will support my interpretation.

>I think that for Marx, constant capital and variable capital are always
>DEFINED consistently in the same way - as the sums of money-capital
>invested to purchase means of production and labor-power.  Means of
>production and labor-power are purchased with money, not with labor-time.

Yes, I agree money price is the necessary form of appearance of
value. But this does not mean that total value is not determined
independently of money.

A commodity does not have value unless sold, but the money price of a
commodity does not determine its value. Its value is determined as
the socially necessary *labor time* for its reproduction.

Alejandro then reasonably argues that the labor time needed for the
reproduction of the commodity is determined by the value of the money
sum which has to be laid out to replace the used up constant and
variable capital.

I agree that when commodity value which is the prior and fundamental
magnitude is resolved, it is broken down into surplus value and cost
price, which is determined in terms of the money laid out as constant
and variable capital.

But I can't agree that Marx is saying this is how the value of a
commodity is determined. If the money laid out for the means of
production deviates from their value, commodity value is determined
by the value of the used up means of production, not the value of the
money needed to purchase them. I have argued that it is just this
possibility of deviation that Marx is analyzing Capital 3, p. 309.
See the last part of my OPE 4515 where I defend this interpretation.

>Constant capital and variable capital (as these money quantities) could be
>DETERMINED as proportional to the labor-times quantities required to
>produce the means of production and means of subsistence, but the
>DETERMINATION of constant capital and variable capital is a separate issue
>from the DEFINITION of these variables.

These variables can be and are monetarily defined.

But it does not follow that commodity value is determined by adding
to surplus value, as monetarily expressed,  constant capital as the
value of the money sum laid out for mp and variable capital as the
value of the money sum laid out as wages.

However these variables are defined, the point remains that Marx
determines total value as the value of the consumed means of
production themselves plus newly produced value.

>1.  C and V are DEFINED in terms of money, in both the determination and
>the monetary resolution of value.

But I need evidence and logic for this idea of the monetary
DETERMINATION of value.

>2.  But the money-quantities of C and V are DETERMINED as proportional to
>the labor-times quantities required to produce the means of production and
>means of subsistence.

Well, it seems obvious to me that in his transformation tableaux Marx
has assumed that the unit of account is the unit of labor time
or--more accurately-- that monetary expression of labor value is one.

>I thought this is what you accepted in your recent "Fred is correct" post
>(4444), that constant capital and variable capital are "monetary
>sums".  Did I misunderstand you?

I have always agreed with you in the strongest terms that money price
is the necessary form of appearance of value.

All the best, Rakesh