[OPE-L:4558] Re: imperialism

From: Allin Cottrell (cottrell@wfu.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 21 2000 - 22:27:44 EST

I'll take a bite at Paul's question.  I'll preface this by
saying that I haven't re-read Lenin on imperialism lately, and
that I'm not super-clear on what super-imperialism means, but
I'm inclined to say, Yes, we live in an era of
super-imperialism.  At least if that means that the metropolitan
capitalist powers have foregone the use of military force in
pressing their individual imperial claims, in favour of
cooperation vis-a-vis the rest of the world, while restricting
their mutual rivalry to diplomatic and commercial channels.

When was there last a real fight between metropolitan capitalist
powers over access to sources of raw materials or markets?
Over the last couple of decades the sites of military conflict
have primarily been arenas of historically-rooted ethnic
conflict (e.g. Ireland, Palestine, the Balkans), or local
power-grabs (Iraq/Kuwait).  When the major capitalist powers
have intervened, it has been to defend a common interest in
property rights, or oil supplies, or the limitation of the
contagion of incendiary ethnic feuding.

Allin Cottrell.