[OPE-L:4562] Re: reply to Fred (1)

From: Fred B. Moseley (fmoseley@mtholyoke.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 22 2000 - 11:31:58 EST

Hi Rakesh,

I want to respond to what you have called your "main point" in your
critique of my interpretation of Marx's theory.  You seem to think that,
according to my interpretation, the magnitude of the cost price will
change as a result of the transformation of values into prices of
production.  This change of the cost price necessitates a choice between
two "invariance conditions":   either total value = total price of
production or total surplus-value = total profit.  You argue for the
former condition, and argue that the latter condition implies an "adding
up" theory of value (i.e. that an increase in the cost price causes an
increase in total price).

But, Rakesh, this argument is completely irrelevant to my interpretation
of Marx's theory. According to my interpretation, the cost price DOES NOT
CHANGE as a result of the determination of prices of production.  Since
the cost price does not change, there is no question of having to choose
between whether a change of the cost price causes a change of total value
or of surplus-value.  The cost price remains the same and so does the
total value and the total surplus-value.  According to my interpretation
(as I have argued before), NONE of the aggregate variabels change as a
result of the determination of prices of production in Volume 3.  Since
none of the aggregate magnitudes change, ALL of the aggregate equalities
are true simultaneously.

Your argument is against the interpretations of Bortkiewitz and Sweezy and
Meek and Allin and Duncan (for them the cost price does change; actually
for Duncan, only the constant capital).  You are arguing with Allin, et
al. about the appropriate "invariance condition" in the transformation of
values into prices of production.  But according to my interpretation,
there is no need to choose between these two invariance conditions.  Both
conditions are satisfied simultaneously.

Now, you of course disagree with my interpretation that the cost price
does not change in the determination of prices of production, and we can
continue to discuss this point.  But all your arguments about which
invariance condition and the adding up theory of value (your "main
point") are irrelevant to my interpretation.  Do you see what I mean?

I look forward to further discussion.

Comradely,
Fred

P.S.  The passages that you quote concerning Marx's critique of the
"adding-up" theory of value are mostly from Part 7 of Volume 3.  It is
certainly true that Marx argues in these passages that, if wages rise,
then surplus-value will fall.  However, the rise in wages that Marx is
talking about in these passages has nothing to do with the transformation
of values into prices of production.  The rise in wages happens due to
other causes.  Marx explicitly stated at the beginning of Chapter 49 that
he was ignoring in this analysis the distinction between values and prices
of production:

"For the analysis now following, we can ignore the distinction between
value and price of production, since this disappears whenever we are
concerned with the value of labor's total annual product, i.e. the value
of the product of the total social capital."  (p. 971)