[OPE-L:4580] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: reply to Fred (1)

From: Rakesh Narpat Bhandari (rakeshb@Stanford.EDU)
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 17:28:44 EST

Fred,

Just to add to my reply.

The surplus value determined in vol 1 is certainly hypothetical--I do
not understand your point here.  Marx rules out the realistic
scenario of an increase of dM through the depression of wages below
the value of labor power,  Surplus value is explained in the
hypothetical situation of all commodities exchanging at their full
value.  So a realistic scenario is not allowed to  play out in his
gedanken experiment.

Marx also stipulates the raw materials and means of production are
bought at their full value; however, raw materials have been
violently procured from non capitalist modes at prices below value.
Such violence has obviously served as a fillip to surplus value
production in the history of the capitalist system, but Marx rules
out this source of surplus value in the hypothetical analysis of
*Capital*. By stipulation then he ensures that in his thought
experiment the only source of surplus value can be a commodity which
even if at exchanging at its full labor value can through its use be
source of greater labor value (Steven K sees no reason to isolate
labor power in this regard).

In the real history of capitalism, though, dM can indeed be derived
from the forcible extraction of raw materials from non capitalist
modes below value or the depression of wages below the value of labor
power or the depreciation of money if wages do not keep up with the
price level(which is really the depression of wages below the value
of labor power). All this is ruled out by Marx--not because they
cannot be a real source of surplus value (or the reason why M' minus
M is the magnitude that it is) but because he thinks the real history
of capitalism can best be understood if we analyze it in its pure
form, i.e., if all exchanges are assumed to be executed at full value
in a self-enclosed capitalist system.

As for the other point:

Of course the mass of surplus value and the cost price remain
unchanged if one does not transform the inputs. If one doesn't modify
cost price, it is simply a matter of distributing a given sum of
surplus value.  Marx did not go to the bother of transforming the
inputs; if one is only to transform the outputs, it is certainly a
matter of distributing that predetermined sum in terms of a given
cost price--so I do not deny your or Alejandro's textual evidence. It
says what it says. But I don't read it as relevant to the point at
hand.

   If Marx *had* transformed the inputs, he would have argued that
given an output of given value and price (its monetary expression),
any modification of the cost price implies an inverse change in the
mass of surplus value. You won't comment on this point of mine
because you are certain that there is no need for the cost price to
be modified by a transformation of the inputs.

In fact you seem to be saying that since Marx wanted to make vol 3,
part 2 only a matter of the distribution of a predetermined sum of
surplus value, he has to have ruled out any factor which would change
that sum . So this means that Marx had to have ruled out the need to
modify cost price since such modification would change the
predetermined sum of surplus value--so the cost price already has to
be determined as if the inputs sold at market prices or prices of
production.

But if Marx had assumed the inputs sold in such terms, it is possible
that capitalists had bought means of production and raw materials at
prices below their value.  Marx does not think that purchase below
value can be the source of surplus value in the system as a whole
because one's gain will tend to be another's loss.

So the question becomes whether dM can be explained even if one
stipulates  that all  commodities are bought and sold at their full
value. This assumption still applies to the inputs even after Marx
has transformed the outputs in vol 3, ch 9.

  The means that the input means of  production and means of
subsistence in Marx's transformation tableaux are indeed in the form
of simple prices, i.e., prices determined by (or proportional to)
their full value, not prices of production.

Yours, Rakesh