[OPE-L:4590] Re: Part of My Confusion on the Transformation

From: Duncan K. Foley (foleyd@cepa.newschool.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 01 2000 - 16:37:07 EST

I think Marx just didn't get that far. He seems to have been
following the Smithian theory of competition, which envisions capital
as moving from low profit rate sectors to high profit rate sectors.
As you've pointed out, when capital goods have long lifetimes,
there's always a major expectational or prospective element in
estimating the profit rate, so presumably the relevant profit rate
for this competitive movement of capitals would be a prospective, not
necessarily a realized profit rate. And technical change could make
the expectations very wrong. Perhaps this is one of the factors that
led the Classical political economists to view competition as a
gradual, imperfect tendency, that manifested itself in a
"gravitation" of prices around natural prices (or prices of
production) rather than as an attained equilibrium.

Duncan

--
Duncan K. Foley
Leo Model Professor