[OPE-L:4602] Re: reflections on prior publications

From: glevy@pratt.edu
Date: Mon Dec 04 2000 - 11:48:14 EST

Re [OPE-L:4595]:

Thanks for your reply to my questions, Paul (Bullock).

> The two articles in the BCSE on Productive Labour, to which I > >
> As you know, in the same copy of that journal  David Yaffe and I
> tackled the
> question of the Post War Boom and Inflation, in which  the financial issues
> in particular were tackled in a way which,  I would say,  has not been
> bettered. <snip>

That's a pretty strong claim for what you admit is a brief article.
As for the post-war boom, have you read Webber & Rigby _The Golden Age Illusion_? If so, what do you think of it?

> I remain a 'fundamentalist' or
> 'orthodox' Marxist,

I've never understood the attraction of some Marxists to fundamentalism and orthodoxy. It seems to me, btw, to run counter to Marx's own slogan that one should (translating from Latin) "doubt everything".

 >viewing Mattick, Grossman,  Rosdolsky  as key --
> although I must stress that I had read NONE of them until after RC3/4, and
> Grossman only when available in the truncated form in English quite
> recently!  (Could someone please translate the whole book!) I judge > them by
> what Marx and Engels wrote.

Do you think that the methodology of Grossmann (see the book that you cite) was the same as that employed by Mattick? Do you agree with him on the role of "successive approximations" in Marxist theory?

I certainly agree that a non-abridged translation of Grossmann's book is needed.

In solidarity, Jerry