[OPE-L:4644] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:Fiat money andTransformation

From: Ajit Sinha (ajitsinha@lbsnaa.ernet.in)
Date: Fri Dec 08 2000 - 06:52:51 EST

Paul Cockshott wrote:

> On Wed, 06 Dec 2000, you wrote:
>
> > You're right, in that fiat money is not a produced commodity and
> > doesn't participate in any equalization of the rate of profit,
> > unlike Marx's commodity money.
> >
> > Allin Cottrell.

But the logic seems to be incomplete. The question, first of all, is how is the
value of fiat money determined? If you determine its value by taking the GDP
and dividing it with total money supply, the problem you will have is that you
cannot claim the the GDP measured by the prices assumed to be proportional to
value and the GDP measured by the prices of production have any reason to
remain the same. So, in effect, it amounts to the imposition of the same old
condition that total values equal total prices of production-- thus no more
mileage is gotten by this. Cheers, ajit sinha