[OPE-L:4683] Re: my reaction! correction

From: Paul Zarembka (zarembka@ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU)
Date: Tue Dec 12 2000 - 10:34:56 EST

Thanks, David, for the retypoing and resending!

My question was a genuine question (as in "I don't know the answer") and
was seeking help.  I don't even know how "fruitful" the question is, but
it does concern me as a person who has argued the radical separation of
Marx from Ricardo.  I would prefer to think that Marx was not merely
thinking of Sieber as "quite a useful ally" and didn't want to correct a
supporter. However, I cannot think of evidence to oppose such an
interpretation of why he didn't say/write anything about Sieber's reading
(as far as we know).

I guess the way to approach the question is to ask whether Marx was gentle
with other supporters.  I haven't studied that.  However, I would hope
Marx thought that too much is at stake to let errors or misreadings go
uncorrected.  If this would be correct, we have a problem to solve.

I knew of the Wagner quote and it is one evidence of the problem.  Sieber
basically says that Marx is continuing in the tradition of Ricardo, albiet
with very important improvements.  Marx read Sieber and there is a lack of
evidence that he had a problem with that reading of his own work.

Althusser of course argues the radical separation between Ricardo and
Marx, based upon a "reading" of Marx including his silences.

As to neo-Ricardians, I wasn't thinking about them at all.

Paul Z.