[OPE-L:5124] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: waste, value, and potential

From: glevy@pratt.edu
Date: Thu Mar 08 2001 - 16:00:38 EST

Re Rakesh's [OPE-L:5123]:

> Why
> can't the infrastructure built by the state be a public form
> of c?

I don't understand the espression "public form of c". I would
certainly agree that means of production can be owned by the state,
but that doesn't mean that the form that it takes is as constant
capital. C (and V) are part of a circuit of capital. To the
extent that they are removed from the circuit then they cease to
be c (and v). Instead, they take the form of money spent by the
state on means of production and wage-labor.

> Why can't its value be transferred through its use by labor to the
> commodity output?

What is the "commodity output"?  Are "public goods" (produced by the state) to be considered commodities?  I think not (even though they have a use-value).

> This is how I understand Paul B's point;

I'll let Paul B speak for himself.

In solidarity, Jerry