[OPE-L:5170] Re: RE: Give us some NUMBERS, Fred! (was: rent and the working class)

From: paul bullock (paulbullock@ebms-ltd.in2home.co.uk)
Date: Thu Mar 15 2001 - 04:00:25 EST

Andrew,

I am not sure if you will receive this but I think you need to reflect on the difference between the model building you think is so flawed, yet wish to use, and the method Marx uses which is not the formal model type that refers to 'limiting conditions', as you put it.  In any case if your 'model' (I shall call it the 'thin air' model) was closed the air would be used up -  end of story. If it was open it begs the question of what allows the metabolic processes of the workers to 'process' the air. ... and we are back with reality.

In the quotes you use Marx is refering to the limits to the intensification of labour, he might have as easily said,   labourers who are being worked to death cannot, finally, compensate for a fall in the number of labourers.

As I said I suspect that Marx is allowing himself licence in the quotes you use,  since apart from your quotes we could cite '....TSV I,  1969, 1 p402 : ..."...neither the circulation of my blood nor my breathing in themselves make me any the richer; on the contrary, they both presuppose a costly assimilation of food; if that were not necessary, there would be no poor devils about."

The issue I responded to was your use of speculative model building, should we nor be attempting to use Marx's own method?

Bets wishes

Paul Bullock