[OPE-L:5184] Re: Re: Re: Re: the transfer and depreciation of the value of means of production

From: Steve Keen (s.keen@uws.edu.au)
Date: Fri Mar 16 2001 - 00:33:20 EST

Whoops; missed a couple of Jerry's queries (your posts turn up on my
machine with small fonts).

The measure of use-value, when use-value is quantitative, is the same as
the measure of exchange-value or value: units of labour-time, with the
potential measurement being via a Sraffian reduction to dated labour. Using
labour-time as a measure of value is quite consistent with arguing that it
is not the *only* source of value.

The machine would have two measures: the exchange-value, which would be
equivalent to the exchange-value of the inputs to its production (including
other machines and labour-power, themselves all reducible to dated labour
plus a commodity residual); the use-value would be calculable ex-post only,
as indeed is the value of labour (as opposed to labour-power) itself.

Steve