[OPE-L:5234] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: RE: RE: Re: [Mike W] Re: use-value as quantitative

From: Steve Keen (s.keen@uws.edu.au)
Date: Thu Mar 22 2001 - 06:46:36 EST

Here we go with "read my lips again".

Jerry, what I said was "one plays no role in determining the other": i.e.,
that for strict commodities, the use-value of the commodity plays no role
in determining its EXCHANGE value. You instead read me as saying that
use-value plays no role in determining VALUE. I did not say that!

The nuance from further developments of this analysis, however, is that for
things which are not strict commodities--including labor itself, machinery,
and money--the use-value of the item *does* play some role in determining
its exchange-value. Consider Marx when he was criticising Ricardo for his
analysis of the (exchange) value of minerals in an undeveloped mine:

"Ricardo never uses the word value for utility or usefulness or "value in
use". Does he therefore mean to say that the "compensation" is paid to the
owner of the quarries and coalmines for the "value" the coal and stone have
before they are removed from the quarry and the mine--in their original
state? Then he invalidates his entire doctrine of value. Or does value mean
here, as it must do, the possible use-value and hence the prospective
exchange-value of coal or stone?" (Marx 1861 Part II, p. 249)

Notice the expression "does value mean here, *as it must do*, the possible
use-value and hence the prospective exchange-value of coal or stone?". The
use-value of such things as unworked mines is a prospective exchange-value
from its output. Again, the concept of use-value is quantitative, but also,
it involves expectations and uncertainty--something Post Keynesians think
Keynes invented when it came to valuing capital assets. In fact, Marx did
it first--but most Marxists haven't noticed.

I take the point that use-value has been a part of the lexicon of marxist
discourse since Rosdolsky, and that the Sweezy school alone ignores it
completely. But I still believe that most marxists haven't realised how
central the concept was to Marx's logic. In that sense, I think Rosdolsky
is still correct:

"How often has the thesis of the
`contradiction between use-value and exchange value' been
repeated? On the other hand, how often has anyone really taken
the trouble to develop this thesis or regard it as something more
than a survival of the time when Marx `coquetted with the
Hegelian manner of expression'? In reality we are dealing here
with one of the most fundamental discoveries of Marx's economics,
the neglect of which makes his conclusions in the theory of value
and money appear utterly distorted". (*Rosdolsky*, p 133.)

Cheers,
Steve

Dr. Steve Keen
Senior Lecturer