[OPE-L:5288] Re: Re: Re: how is SNLT measured?

From: Allin Cottrell (cottrell@wfu.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 29 2001 - 09:55:24 EST

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Gerald_A_Levy wrote:

> > It's a statistical issue.

> As Rieu [5284] suggested, this doesn't really confront the issue I
> raised.  To begin with, this is not most fundamentally a
> "statistical issue" -- rather, it is an analytical issue.

Yes, it's an analytical issue -- and the analytical apparatus required
must be statistical/probabilistic.  What I'm opposing is that idea
that when we're interested in some magnitude M, either it's
"measurable" (implicitly: exactly measurable) or it's not (the attempt
to find a measure is misguided, pointless).  The area in between these
extremes (where all scientific measurement lies) is statistical.

Allin.