[OPE-L:5298] Re: Re: rent and expectations of value and profit

From: Francisco Paulo Cipolla (cipolla@sociais.ufpr.br)
Date: Fri Mar 30 2001 - 09:08:42 EST

Hi Steve, your implicit answer can be misleading. One can be lead to think that
since what is paid is the use value then all profits would be paid in the form of
interest. But if we consider that a borrowed sum is capital for the borrower and
capital for the lender then the same sum of money have to function as capital for
both of them. In other words it has to function as use value for both of them.
There is only one way that same sum can function as use value for both, that is
through the partition of profits. So to pay for the use value and to pay the use
value have different meanings: the first one leaves room for thinking in terms of
a partition; the second one leads us to think that all profits have to be paid as
interest. I am only saying this because once we think of use value as quantitative
then formulations such as "payment of the use value of the loan" seem to mean the
payment of all the profits obtained.
Paulo

Hi Jerry,