[OPE-L:5300] Re: Unproductive labour and illusions of competition

From: Gerald_A_Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@msn.com)
Date: Sat Mar 31 2001 - 08:09:33 EST

Re Paul C's [5203]:

No one has answered the above post (which
is reproduced at the end of this post).

* Can anyone on the list critique Paul C's
   position on the unproductive character of
   labour producing military goods under
   capitalism?

In so doing, I think it would be helpful if
arguments did not take the form of "well ...
that's not how Marx used the concept of
unproductive labour ....".  I.e. Paul's argument,
it seems to me, can not be resolved by
reference to what Marx did or not write on
this topic and it is not a textual interpretive of
Marx issue.

Relatedly, it would also be helpful if arguments
that are advanced concerning whether Sraffa's
distinctions between basic and non-basic goods
have relevance for interpreting the production
of surplus value under capitalism do not take the
same textual form of  [only] contrasting what
Sraffa  wrote on this subject to what Marx wrote
on productive and unproductive labour.

I.e. in order to meet Paul C's (and Pierro S's)
challenge head-on, one must advance *logical*
reasons for rejecting one perspective and
embracing another perspective re what types of
labour are productive of surplus value under
capitalism.

In solidarity, Jerry