[OPE-L:5311] Re: Re: double divergence

From: Fred B. Moseley (fmoseley@mtholyoke.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 02 2001 - 00:53:26 EDT

I finally have a little time to return to the earlier discussion with
Rakesh and Allin and Alejandro R. about whether there are "two reasons for
divergence" between prices of production and values in Marx's theory or
only one reason for this divergence.  I will restart the discussion by
responding to Allin's (4982) back on Feb. 19.

ALLIN STATED:

"There's a real problem of inconsistency in Marx's statements here.  We
have statements,  highlighted by Alejandro and Fred, where Marx says (I
paraphrase): "value = cost-price plus surplus value; price of production =
cost-price plus profit".  The Marx manuscript brought forward by Alejandro
put this in algebraic notation, giving it added definiteness. But we also
have statements where Marx says (again, I paraphrase; the quotations are
well known): "There are two reasons for the divergence between values and
prices of production:  (1) the price of the means of production employed
in the production of the given product differs from the value of those
means of production, and (2) the profit realized in the sale of the
product differs from the surplus-value embodied in that product.

"I'll refer to the first sort of quotations as the "cost-price
plus" statements, and to the second sort of quotations as the "double
divergence" statements.  These two sorts of statements sometimes occur in
close proximity in the texts of Marx that we have available to us.

"The obvious problem is that if "cost-price plus" is a proper statement of
Marx's view then "double divergence" is nonsense: there is only and only
one source of divergence between price of production and value, namely the
discrepancy between surplus value and (equalized) profit.

"It's certainly tempting to suppose that one or other of the sets of
statements in Marx must be "not really what he meant to say" (otherwise
his views were flat-out incoherent).  My preferred interpretation is that
"cost-price plus" was not really what he meant -- or at least these
statements only hold good on the assumption that the means of production
(inputs) were purchased at prices equal to their values.  I do _not_ claim
that it's clear from context that whenever Marx issued a "cost-price
plus" statement he was in fact assuming that input prices were equal to
input values (rather, I think there is a degree of inconsistency in the
text -- although of course it's a text that Marx never prepared for
publication.

"I prefer this interpretation, despite its problems, because the
alternative is worse, namely that Marx was just gibbering when he made his
"double divergence" statements.  I haven't seen a rationalization of these
statements, from the proponents of the "cost-price" plus, that makes any
sense to me."

MY RESPONSE TO ALLIN:

I agree with Allin that there is an inconsistency in Marx's texts on this
issue.  I also agree that one or the other sets of statements must be "not
what Marx really meant (otherwise his views are flat-out
incoherent)."  But I disagree on the choice he makes between the two sets
of statements.

Allin argues that, in Marx's "cost plus" statements (i.e. only one reason
for divergence), he must have been implicitly assuming that the prices of
the means of production are equal to their values. Allin acknowledges that
this assumption is not clear from the statements themselves, nor from the
context of these statements.  But nonetheless Allin argues that Marx must
have been implicitly making this assumption; otherwise the statements
about "two reasons for divergence" are gibberish.

I argue, to the contrary, that it is clear both from Marx's "cost
plus" statements themselves and from their context that Marx was ASSUMING
THE OPPOSITE of what Allin suggests - i.e. that Marx was assuming that the
price of the means of production are NOT equal to their values.  If this
is true, then Allin's justification for dismissing Marx's "cost
plus" statements cannot be correct.

Let's reexamine one of the main controversial texts, in which Marx states
both that there are "two reasons for divergence" and that the cost price
is the same for both the determination of values and prices of
production.  This text is from Section 2 of Chapter 12 of Volume 3, which
is a "supplementary remark" about  "the production price of commodities of
average composition".  This section begins with the sentence emphasized by
Allin and Rakesh.

"We have already seen that the divergence of price of production from
value arises for two reasons: (1) because the average profit is added to
the cost price of a commodity, rather than the surplus-value contained in
it; and (2) because the price of production of a commodity that diverges
in this way from its value enters as an element into the cost price of
other commodities, which means that a DIVERGENCE FROM THE VALUE OF THE
MEANS OF PRODUCTION CONSUMED MAY ALREADY BE CONTAINED IN THE COST PRICE,
quite apart from the divergence that may arise for the commodity itself
from the difference between average profit and surplus-value." (emphasis
added)

So Marx is clearly stating here that the prices of the means of production
are NOT equal to their values.  And in the next sentence, Marx repeats the
same point, with respect to the commodities produced with capital of
average composition:

"It is quite possible, accordingly, for THE COST PRICE TO DIVERGE FROM THE
VALUE OF THE ELEMENTS of which this component of the price of production
is composed, even in the case of commodities that are produced by capitals
of average composition..."  (emphasis added)

Marx then went on in the rest of this section to argue that IN SPITE OF
THE FACT THAT the price of the means of production are NOT equal to their
values, the cost price is still THE SAME for the determination of both the
values and the price of production of average commodities, from which it
follows that the prices of production of these average commodities are
equal to their values.  The cost price that is the same for both values
and prices of production is equal to the price of the production of the
inputs, not the value of the inputs.
In Marx words:

"Yet this possibility in no way affects the correctness of the principles
put forward for commodities of average composition.  The quantity of
profit that falls to the share of these commodities is equal to the
quantity of surplus-value contained in them.  For the above capital, with
its composition of 80c + 20v, for example, the important thing as far as
the determination of surplus-value is concerned is not whether these
figures are the expression of actual values, but rather what their mutual
relationship is; i.e. that v is one-fifth of the total capital and c is
four-fifths.  As soon as this is the case, as assumed above, the
surplus-value v produced is equal to the average profit.  On the other
hand, because it [the surplus-value; FM] is equal to the average profit,
THE PRICES OF PRODUCTION = COST PRICE + PROFIT = K + P = K + S, which is
equal in practice to the commodity's VALUE.  In other words, an increase
or decrease of wages in this case leaves K + P unaffected, just as it
would leave the commodity's value unaffected, and simply brings about a
corresponding converse movement, a decrease or increase, on the side of
the profit rate."  (C.III:  309; emphasis added)

Therefore, it seems clear to me that, in this statement that the cost
price is the same for the determination of both value and price of
production, Marx was explicitly assuming that the cost price is NOT equal
to the value of the inputs.  Allin's interpretation is incorrect.

Furthermore, the main point of this section is that prices of production
of commodities produced with capitals of average composition are equal to
their values.  This point is true ONLY IF THE COST PRICE IS THE SAME in
the determination of both the value and the price of production of these
commodities, which implies further that there is ONLY ONE REASON FOR
PRICES OF PRODUCTION TO DIVERGE FROM THEIR VALUES (P not = S).  Marx made
this clear in algebraic formulation, in which the same K is a component of
both the value and the price of production of these commodities.  There is
no clarifying algebra in the "double divergence" sentence at the beginning
of the section.

Therefore, it seems to me that we have two options:

1.  Marx misspoke in the first sentence, when he said that there are "two
reasons for divergence" between the prices of production and the values
of commodities.

2.  The main point of the entire section - that even though the cost
prices is not equal to the value of the inputs, the prices of production
of average commodities are nonetheless equal to the values of these
commodities - is nonsense.

In other words, either one sentence is gibberish (or misspoken) or the
whole section is gibberish.

Giving Marx the benefit of the doubt (and because of other supporting
textual evidence which I have discussed and will discuss again in
subsequent posts), it seems more likely to me that Marx simply misspoke in
the first sentence.  What he really should have said is that there are two
reasons why the prices of production of commodities are not equal to their
values AS WE HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT VALUE UP UNTIL NOW.  I think that Marx
momentarily slipped back in this opening sentence into using "value" in
the provisional Volume 1 sense of proportional to labor-time. However,
Marx had already made it clear in Chapter 9 (as I have discussed) that,
even though the cost price may not be equal to the value of the inputs,
the value of commodities is still = K + s, which implies that the value of
commodities may not be proportional to the total labor-time required to
produce them (although the new value component is still proportional to
current labor-time).  And in the remainder of this section of Chapter 12,
Marx again used value in this more developed sense (= K + s, even though K
not = value of the inputs), in which case total value is not proportional
to total labor-time.

Or Marx should have omitted the first sentence and started with his second
paragraph:

"It is quite possible ... for the cost price to diverge from the value of
the elements of which this component of the price of production is
composed, even in the case of commodities that are produced by capitals of
average composition... Yet this possibility in no way affects the
correctness of the principles put forward for commodities of average
composition...

I think this is the real point Marx is trying to make in this
section: Even though the cost price is not = to the value of the inputs,
this does not affect the correctness of the principles put forward for
average commodities.  And the correctness of these principles requires
that the COST PRICE IS THE SAME for the determination of both the value
and the price of production of commodities, which implies that there is
only ONE REASON FOR THE DIVERGENCE between prices of production and
values. Marx's terminological slip in the first sentence should not
distract from the correctness of these principles.

Allin, what do you think?  Do you still think that Marx did not misspeak
in the first sentencec of this section, even though this implies that the
rest of this section is nonsense?

As Alejandro R. has pointed out in (5003), and as Allin has acknowledged
in (4982), the "conclusive textual proof" of the standard interpretation -
that Marx explicitly acknowledged that he failed to transform the cost
prices - is in fact not so conclusive at all.  I think this recognition is
in itself an advance in Marxian scholarship.  Furthermore, in the passage
discussed above, the textual evidence would seem to support the opposite
interpretation that the cost price is the same for the determination of
both values and prices of production.

I will discuss other texts in this controversy in subsequent posts.

Thanks very much for the discussion.

Comradely,
Fred