[OPE-L:5324] Re: Re: Re: Re: double divergence

From: Rakesh Narpat Bhandari (rakeshb@Stanford.EDU)
Date: Tue Apr 03 2001 - 15:21:50 EDT

To put the same point another way:

the value of total capital can be represented as k + s while total
price of production can be represented as k + p. A wage led
distributional shift changes neither total value nor total price of
production for total capital or the value and price of production of
the imagined average commodity.

Marx is *not* saying here that total value is determined as k + s or
even as c + mNV, as Fred and Alejandro are trying to make this
passage read. Total value can  for all practical purposes  be
represented as k + s or can be said to be equal to k + s; that does
not mean Marx is saying that total value is determined that way.

The formula for determination is simply the sum of indirect and
direct labor time Lmp + Lc => V. total value can then be represented
as or said to equal k + s. Price of production is k + p. And there
are two reasons why value and price of production diverge.

There is no reason why the point of double divergence and the non
effect of wage led distributional shifts on total value and total
price of production cannot both be made without Marx talking
gibberish.

Fred, I thought you held Marx to be a rigorous thinker who spoke with
clarity and precision.

Now you have him talking gibberish to save your interpretation! If
something has to give, I think it has to be your interpretation.

Yours, Rakesh