[OPE-L:5355] Re: the bursting bubble and the U.S. working class

From: Gerald_A_Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@email.msn.com)
Date: Tue Apr 17 2001 - 17:49:22 EDT

Re Steve K's [5353]:

I think that Steve makes some important points
below.  In reading the following, another recent
news story comes to mind: the action by the US
Congress --  with wide wide bi-partisan support
from Democratic Party members -- to legally
prevent individuals from declaring bankruptcy as a
way of eliminating personal credit card debt.

Some of the figures on credit card debt by
working class families are truly staggering.
And a large reason for this debt has been the
phenomenally high interest rates charged by
credit card companies and the banks whose name
those cards are issued in.  Indeed, I don't think it
is an exaggeration to say that these rates often
approach the rates expected by loansharks!

The credit card companies and banks lobbied
very hard for passage of this legislation. The
reason now appears clear: as the economy
proceeds into the downturn, capital and the
state have sent the clear message to working
class families that they will have to pay their
debts.  Thus, while firms will be able to declare
bankruptcy and reorganize afterwards debt free,
workers will be expected to pay off their credit
card debt no matter how long it takes. Indeed,
many workers will have to work for many years to
come for no other reason than than that they have
to pay-off  a financial debt. Does this mean that
there will be a new segment of the working class
in the US who will become basically indentured
servants?

Thus, in looking at indebtedness, I think we have
to ask not only what the total level of indebtedness
is, but also:

* what classes are indebted to whom?

*  for each category that is indebted, what options
existed for getting out of debt?

* what is the role of the state in the above?

It is interesting to note that my last post concerned
working class savings. This post concerns the credit
card debt of the working class -- i.e. working class
*negative* savings.

In solidarity, Jerry