[OPE-L:5362] the assumptions necessary for the two equalities to hold?

From: Gerald_A_Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@email.msn.com)
Date: Thu Apr 19 2001 - 10:24:39 EDT

A question for Fred (and others):

>From [5359]:

> Please note that this equality between total
> surplus-value and total
> profit (along with total value = total price of
> production) is assumed to
> hold AFTER it has been acknowledged and
> emphasized that constant capital
> and variable capital are equal to the prices of
> production of the inputs,
> not equal to the values of the inputs.

Fred (and others): could you please specify
precisely what assumptions are required for the
two equalities to hold?

The next question, then, might be: what happens
on a more concrete level of analysis when these
assumptions are dropped and the variables
that were once taken as "given" are no longer given?

Unless we systematically interrogate what has
been taken to be "given", don't we only have
-- at best -- an assertive and incomplete theory?

In solidarity, Jerry